7 Mindful Ways to Celebrate the Summer Solstice
Jun 15, 2019
What are YOU doing to celebrate the Summer Solstice?
This weekend marks the longest day and the shortest night. Can you believe we are already nearly half way through the year?
The word Solstice comes from the Latin sol, meaning sun, and sistere, meaning to stand still. Since the Winter Solstice, the days have been getting progressively longer. This weekend, it's as if the sun stands still to pause in all its glory before receding once again into its decent toward the darkness of winter.
That's why this is an ideal time to mindfully pause and reflect on your intention, direction and purpose for the rest of the year.
This Friday, June 21, I'm hosting a group of conscious women here in the Puget Sound area for a Women's Wisdom Circles Summer Solstice Ceremony.
There are a few spaces left so register soon if you'd like to participate! We will be gathering outside at Sanctuary Woodinville, letting our feet touch the Earth, and having a FIRE CEREMONY (see below).
7 Mindful Ways to Celebrate the Summer Solstice
Add some Solstice magic to your weekend with these fun ideas to reconnect with your heart and soul and get in sync with the cycles of the seasons.
- Pause and be still. Step back from your day to day routine. Unplug long enough to feel like you are stopping the world for a while. Take some time to slow down, relax, breathe, and turn your attention inward. What is arising in your experience at this point in your life? How are you feeling about yourself? Tune in to your intuition and listen for the yearnings of your soul.
- Set your intentions for the season. The days are soon to be growing shorter again. Before we enter the darkness of fall, what's important for you to focus on this summer? What would you like to experience between now and the Autumn Equinox? Decide what's most meaningful, valuable and important to you as you clarify your direction and purpose.
- Connect with Nature. Get outside. Let your bare feet touch the Earth. Nature is in full bloom. Soak it in. Appreciate the beauty of the season and the warmth of the sun. Smell the flowers, taste the fruits, see the bright colors, hear the songbirds, feel the cool grass and the hot stones. Get close to the ground, like you did when you were a child. Look at insects, animals, and plants, and marvel at your relationship with all life.
- Gather with friends in an intentional Circle. Instead of a rowdy summer party (or perhaps in addition to one!), you can invite a few close friends to gather in a Circle in your back yard or living room. A Circle sets the stage for deliberate, respectful communication, allowing everyone to be seen and heard. Invite each person to state their intention for the season out loud. Set guidelines for no advice-giving or cross-talk. Notice how it feels to have your intentions witnessed by the group, and how it feels to truly witness others.
- Have a fire ceremony. Using a fire pit or a candle to represent the energy of the summer sun, write your intentions on a piece of paper. Fold the paper into a small square and hold it in your hands and blow on it, as if you are infusing it with your energy. Then light the paper on fire to symbolize releasing your intentions into the transforming energy of the sun, sending your wishes up to the Universe. Give thanks in advance of receiving, as if your dreams have already come true.
- Wander and ponder. My fiance, Kristjan introduced me to this fun way to celebrate! Because of the nature of this ritual, it's best done alone or with a trusted partner. Set off on an adventure with no specific agenda. Listen to your intuition as you wander to a new place you haven't been before. Invoke a sense of awe, wonder and curiosity as you give yourself the freedom explore without expectations. Stay open to meaningful coincidences. Let yourself be surprised. You may get an important insight, come across a valuable treasure, or meet someone influential.
- Rediscover the night sky. Stay up late and gaze at the fiery stars and sparkly planets. Get a sense of the vastness of the Universe. Reflect upon your ancestors and how they plotted star charts for navigation. Try to wrap your mind around time and space, parallel Universes, infinity and the quantum field of possibility and potential. Consider the physics of matter and energy, particles and waves, frequency and vibration. Let your imagination wander into the stratosphere and wonder what's out there.
Mindfully taking time away from your daily routine to reconnect with the cycles of the Earth is a healthy way to gain perspective on your life's direction and purpose. Incorporating one or more of these fun rituals during the Summer Solstice can help you replenish your energy stores, revitalize your dreams, and reignite your passion and enthusiasm to pursue your intentions before the days start getting dark once again!
Whatever you do, I'm wishing you a beautiful, meaningful, and magical Summer Solstice weekend!
Get Lauren's FREE Mindful Morning 21 Day Challenge!
Stay connected and get daily email motivation to boost your mood, elevate your energy and enhance your motivation eat healthy and enjoy exercise!